If you didn’t already know, spinach is important for bone health, hair and skin. It provides iron, vitamins and minerals which hep to sustain a healthy mind and body. Consuming spinach may even help to decrease the risk of developing cancer. It can help to lower blood pressure and the risk of developing asthma. The health benefits of spinach go on and on. If you’d like to cook with this healthy vegetable more, check out this delicious Tuscan Lasagna recipe that includes low-fat ricotta which makes it filling and even healthier for you.
- 1 pound of 85 percent lean ground beef
- 1 cup of sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of minced white onions
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of basil (dried)
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 cup of lowfat ricotta
- 1 package (8 oz) of whole grain lasagna noodles
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 16 oz of low sodium marinara sauce (divided)
- 1/2 cup od part-skim fresh mozzarella (divided)
- 2 cups of thawed frozen spinach
- 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan
Heat your oven to 375°. Next, in a large pan over medium heat, cook beef, mushrooms, onion, garlic, parsley, salt, basil, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds and pepper, until browned. This should take about 12 minutes. Transfer contents to a bowl and stir in ricotta. Cook noodles as directed on the package; drain and rinse with cold water. In an 8″ x 11″ baking dish coated with cooking spray, place a layer of noodles. Top the noodles with 1/3 of the meat mixture, 1/3 of the marinara and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat to create two more layers with the remaining noodles, meat, marinara and mozzarella. Scatter the spinach before the last layer. Top with Parmesan, then cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes; remove foil and bake for additional 20 minutes. Let the food cool for 10 minutes before serving. Devour!
458 calories per serving, 20 g fat (8 g saturated), 38 g carbs, 10 g fiber, 32 g protein
Remember to consult your physician or chiropractor before taking any health advice.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.